Sail Past These 6 Obstacles to Making Money With Your Passion
Pursuing your passion can be an effective and meaningful way of creating wealth and abundance in your life. Spending your day on things that fill you with energy and enjoyment contributes to the level of happiness you experience.
But creating an income stream can be challenging, especially when your options are limited to things you already love to do. There are a few obstacles that commonly get in the way when attempting to turn your passion into a career. Fortunately, there is often a solution!
Manage these challenges and earn a living in a meaningful and exciting way:
- A lack of commitment. Any entrepreneur will tell you that making a living on your own is much more challenging. If you have an office job, you’re still getting paid while surfing the internet, getting a cup of coffee, or using the restroom. If you’re a one-person show, that’s often not the case.
- The work required to realize success can be long and challenging. Fortunately, if you’ve chosen a field that truly excites you, it won’t feel like work. Enjoy yourself, but understand there can be long days ahead.
- Even if your field of choice results in conventional employment, it can take time to see the results you desire. Changing fields often means starting over again at the bottom. Commitment and patience are often required to reach the top.
- Right field but a wrong career. You might love fishing, but dislike the rigors of competitive fishing. You might be happier designing fishing lures or being a fishing guide. Not everyone that loves kids would enjoy owning a daycare. Think about all the options available to you and choose wisely.
- There are multiple ways to make money within any field.
- A lack of focus on value creation. You might know a lot and be a great person, but if you want to be paid, it’s necessary to provide value to someone. How you can use your passion to provide real value to others?
- Self-sabotage. Are you uncomfortable with the thought of earning money by providing assistance to others? Remember, your doctor and mechanic are helping others and earning an income. Professionals earn a living by taking advantage of the challenges and lack of expertise faced by the general public.
- Be comfortable charging for your products, services, and time. You deserve to earn money when you’re providing value to others.
- A lack of assertiveness. Whether you’re changing fields or starting a business, it’s important to be able to set boundaries. It’s also important to be able to ask for what you need. Embrace the boldness required to be successful.
- Getting advice from the wrong people. Your high school friend might be vice-president at a pharmaceutical company, but that doesn’t mean he has a clue about selling kites online. Just because someone is successful in one field doesn’t mean they have a clue about your business or career.
- Seek out advice from those who have accomplished what you want to accomplish. That’s why finding a mentor can be so important. Parents, friends, and neighbors are often not a good resource for career-related decisions.
Earning money with an activity that fills you with joy and enthusiasm is a worthy pursuit. However, there can be obstacles along the way. Recognizing and effectively dealing with obstacles is pivotal to long-term success. Avoid giving up when encountering a bump in the road.
You can be successful while doing something you love!